Monday, January 15, 2007

MLK


Apparently, I'm a racist. At least that's according to the Naisy Dolar supporter who recently knocked on my door. I asked, Is it because I'm White? A Male? A Jew?

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

A young Asian woman knocked on my door and asked if I was supporting Naisy Dolar. No, I replied. That wasn't good enough for her (she seemed perplexed). Why?, she asked. Because I've met and talked to Naisy, and I was unimpressed. Why?, she asked again. Because I don't think she has a good grasp of the issues or concerns in the ward. But why? She was getting exasperated.

Who would you vote for in a race between Naisy and Ald. Stone? Wouldn't matter, I said. Stone would win. As she turned to leave, she called me a racist. Audibly.

Excuse me?

Is it because I'm a white male Jew?, I called out. She looked back around, horrified.


On this day, we celebrate the birth and life of Martin Luther King. Well, some of us do. Others may try to use MLK Day to divide us.

Generally, on MLK Day I try to say Kaddish for all the (white) Jewish boys who died to make King's Dream come alive. My Asian accuser probably doesn't know about the connection between the civil rights movement in this country and Jews. But it's quite strong. In 1909, W.E.B. Dubois, Julius Rosenthal, Lillian Wald, Rabbi Emil G. Hirsch, Stephen Wise and Henry Malkewitz formed the NAACP. A year later other prominent Jewish and Black leaders created the Urban League.

The American Jewish Committee, the American Jewish Congress, and the Anti-Defamation League were central to the campaign against racial prejudice. About 50 percent of the civil rights attorneys in the South during the 1960s were Jews, as were over 50 percent of the Whites who went to Mississippi in 1964 to challenge the Jim Crow Laws. I myself have tried to play a small part in the fight for equality and social justice.

In the end, the reason that I do not support Dolar is because of the content of her campaign, not the color of her skin. Just as MLK would have wanted.

Which begs the question: why is Naisy Dolar (or her supporters) playing racial politics? We expect this kind of divisive tactics from our alderman. It's a shame. On this day, Martin Luther King Day I say, Shame on you, Dolar (supporter), shame on you.

11 Comments:

At January 15, 2007 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JS,

This morning you made a very serious allegation against Naisy Dolar and our campaign. It is Naisy's
wish to reach out to the very diverse community of the 50th ward and empower all ward residents. Inclusion, participation and dialogue are the values on which this campaign was built-- both Naisy and all our campaign workers take this to heart.

Please advise us of the date, time and location of the alleged incident and we will investigate it thoroughly. On your blog, other allegations have been made against this campaign but because they are posted anonymously by individuals, including yourself, they cannot be verified.

Today, Naisy, who has served on the Chicago Commision on Human Relations and is a diversity trainer for the Anti-Defamation League, will be hosting an open house in honor of Martin Luther King Day. We will meet at the campaign headquarters from 5:00 PM until 6:30 PM, at 2742 W. Touhy. We invite you to come out, learn more about the campaign and meet our diverse staff and volunteers who embrace Dr. King's vision.

Marissa Graciosa
Campaign Manager
Neighbors for Nasy Dolar
naisydolar@naisydolar.com
NaisyDolar.com

 
At January 15, 2007 12:22 PM, Blogger Jay said...

I'm glad you agree to the seriousness of this incident. It is my hope you can train your volunteers to be more sensitive to our community.

 
At January 15, 2007 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JS,

your story is actually very typical of the reaction Naisy's volunteers have towards a Greg supporter (not to say that your supporting Greg, just that we now have a shared experience). They assume that if there's a white person and a minority running, anyone who doesnt support the minority is a rascist, regardless of the fact that the white person, in this case Mr Brewer, is ridiculously qualified and simply right on all the issues that concern our ward.

 
At January 15, 2007 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that's great, you manage to cast yourself as the victim the whole time slandering the opposition candidate. Name calling in the shadows doesn't make you righteous JS, it just makes you a coward . I know the people at Dolar's campaign well, and what you say happened couldn't and you know it. Come out into the light, make your accusations clear, time, date, location all that.

You say anybody but Stone yet you use all your vitriol for Dolar. Makes me go hmmmm...

Either your supporting Stone and trying to cause trouble or you support Brewer and you're scared. Either way why not, oh you know, do some old fashioned campaigning and spend less time whining that a young girl called you names?

 
At January 15, 2007 1:22 PM, Blogger Jay said...

I don't feel like a victim. I certainly didn't try to "cast myself" as one. I was astonished, needless to say. But you don't have to take my word for it. There's plenty of evidence of Dolar supporters calling people racist all over the web. I suppose they don't want people talking about it.

 
At January 16, 2007 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Naisy Dolar person came to my house. She was cute and was telling me about her yellow hat, which was a neat idea. But she didn't have much to say about Naisy's stance on the issues and she didn't live in the neighborhood. She said Naisy is her friend and she was excited for Naisy to be the first Asian on the city council.

I'd like to meet Brewer. Anyone know how I can do that? Is he available anywhere?

 
At January 17, 2007 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well there's a candidates forum tonight at the viceroy of india, 2520 w devon from 6-8pm and Greg will certainly be there, and if you dont get a chance to talk to him then just go up to one of his supporters and they'll probably know of some more events.

 
At January 17, 2007 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting candidate forum tonight. The place was packed. It was great to see so many people taking an interest in their community. The real winner in that forum was the community. Take it from a guy that has been around in politics; it was great to see a big room packed with interested voters.

I was suprised by two of the challengers. {Because I believe it is important for the challengers to stay on task, (get their vote out & Beat Up on Bernie), I won't mention names.}

One candidate exceeded expectations, one was a real let down and the other delivered as expected.

It is still about 6 weeks till Feb 27th......there is room to gain and room to loose......it will be interesting to see how things develop.

Bernie Stone ??? What a slap in the face to the residents of the 50th Ward. Those that read this blog should write a letter to the Editor of any (and many) newspaper and tell them how insulted you were that your own elected Alderman did not show up.

Based on the size of the crowd, Bernie Stone was the clear loser of this forum. If Bernie continues to avoid the voters of the 50th in upcomming candidate forums, it is possible for a challenger to win out-right or for a run-off between challengers.

Run Sal, Run Greg, Run Naisy, Run Run Run !!!

posted by: Mad Dog

 
At January 18, 2007 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JS, you lucky dog.

So far I've only had wrinkled/pasty or big-boned women visit me.

I'm awaiting anxiously for one of those cute lil asian girls in yellow hats to knock on my door.

And Uncle Berny doesn't need to go to a forum to win this election. He has the Jewish vote locked up.

 
At January 18, 2007 1:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle Berny's Favored One said... In his last post..bla bla bla....

That last post just cracks me up. Sounds like something that a Frank Coconate basher would say....Hey, lets keep this professional. Mind your own business.

posted by: Mad Dog

 
At January 18, 2007 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uncle berny's favored one sounds like a disgusting pervert. Naisy's yellow hat girls better be careful when they are out. Maybe pair up or something.

uncle berny's favored one, get a life and stop leering at young girls!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home