Thursday, January 04, 2007

Salman Responds

I've written several times that I don't know why Naisy is running. I've invited her supporters to tell me what they think. This hasn't gotten much response. Instead, we've been treated to a "turn the tables" approach, with Curious questioning why Salman Aftab (who I'm not supporting, but try to cover, since he's in the race) is running.

Yesterday, Salman responded. You can find his explanation here. You can decide for yourself whether Salman answers the original questions posed (also in the thread).

In reading Salman's posting, it occurred to me how much the three challengers sound the same themes. This might explain why the shallow explanations on Naisy's (and even less detailed explanation in my own conversations with her) and Salman's website don't appeal to me. I like the effort made by the Brewer site, with it's more detailed consideration about what we could expect should he win election.

I agree that all the challengers in Chicago are hitting these same notes. While Chicagoans like the Mayor and share his passion for Chicago, there is some basic level of dissatisfaction that all challengers are trying to unearth. This is what I want to write about. What I want to know is, What differentiates the challengers? So I've been looking at this race through three questions:

  • Gravitas. How do the various challengers stack up against Ald. Stone? Can my neighbors imagine them replacing Stone?

  • Electability. Can the challenger beat Stone head-to-head?

  • Credibility. Who can we trust?


To my mind, Greg Brewer continues to stand head and shoulders above the rest. Berny Stone repeatedly singles Brewer out amongst his challengers, acting as if Brewer is his most credible challenger. My neighbors who have met all three seem to agree with that assessment.

But don't take my word for it. Read Salman's posting (link above). Check out the candidates. Curious is right, websites don't vote. But voters will continue to rely on websites to inform their decisions.

10 Comments:

At January 04, 2007 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bernie Stone always points to Brewer because he's a racist. In his mind he cant remotely imagine someone of color defeating him.

 
At January 04, 2007 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I arrived at home at exactly 7PM, wet and bedraggled. As I entered, my land line, which I never use, started ringing. So I went and picked it up. On it was a young-sounding woman who gave her name as "Roxanne." She explained she was conducting a poll on the upcoming elections. Did I intend to vote for Bernie Stone?
"No" I said. "Do you intend to vote for someone else or will you vote to
replace Stone? (this question is very unclear, one votes to replace
Stone by voting for another candidate). I said I intended to vote to replace Stone. Well, she said, there is A (my emphasis) candidate running against Stone which candidate is Greg Brewer. I was going to say to her that I was committed to a different candidate, just to see what she would say, but she terminated the call at this point. This seems to be
the poll that Naisy's people have been complaining about (although
neither she nor Aftab were mentioned). I don't think, by the way, that!
we can complain this "poll" is unfair (although there is a certain
amount of deception is saying you are doing a poll when you are actually doing an ad).

 
At January 05, 2007 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did Naisy's team directly complain about a poll?

 
At January 05, 2007 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oy, Naisy dolar pulling the race card again. Because, you know, everyone hates Filipinas. Give me a break. Is that all she has left? I mean, it's obvious her campaign is all about race but that doesnt mean everyone else is a racist like her. Newsflash: 50th ward voters don't give a shit about electing the first asian alderman. They care about credibility and experience of which Naisy has none.

 
At January 05, 2007 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Naisy's campaign PR flack, John Moore, also a professor of sports PR at Columbia College, was anonymously posting all over the internet that the chamber of commerce polls where they tested the effects of negative statements was a "racist push poll" put out by another campaign.

He uses the names "nobsnda50th", "watchin50" and several variations and "wndycty" on various blogs such as the Capitol Fax and the Democratic Underground.

He has a blog called "Windy City Watch" http://www.windycitywatch.com/ which is centered around racism issues.

I have to wonder if this is the guy who has advised Naisy to pull the race card in her campaign.

 
At January 05, 2007 8:11 AM, Blogger Jay said...

Thanks for the field report, Dave. I'm surprised that the Brewer campaign is phone banking so early. They must be stacked with volunteers. But it was too wet to walk, so maybe that's why.

Thanks for the research, Anon. Always good to break news on the blog!

 
At January 05, 2007 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle Berny has gone after Brewer first because he is such an easy target. A five year resident? Carpetbagger. "Founder" of CRD? How many months was that group around before he "decided" to run for alderman?

As for Dolar, she and Aftab will split a non-existent base.

 
At January 06, 2007 10:09 PM, Blogger Hugh said...

js, when does stone get his turn in the box?

 
At January 15, 2007 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

alderman stone is goning down mock my words. this is going to be fun.
lmao

 
At January 18, 2007 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle Berny's Favored One said...
Uncle Berny has gone after Brewer first because he is such an easy target. A five year resident? Carpetbagger. "Founder" of CRD? How many months was that group around before he "decided" to run for alderman?

As for Dolar, she and Aftab will split a non-existent base.

Favored One....continue to think that....yeah...that is exactly what we (as a collective) want Bernie thinking.

Everything is falling into place nicely for Bernie....he's on the right track.....don't change a thing.

Posted by: Happy Cat (bizaro world)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home